Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Key Is Studying the Facts, Which Requires Some Work and an Exercise in Critical Thinking



http://welsdocument.blogspot.com/2015/02/accessible-worship-how-did-it-start-and.html?showComment=1424883347210

This is fascinating. Mr. Techlin and Pastor Lidtke have no problem identifying themselves openly. The other side (and even a seeming supporter, "Melanchthon") hide their identities. Hmmmm - who to believe? Easy answer, huh?! Also, I understand and appreciate Warren's desire for a "summary" from Rick. But, frankly, such would be very difficult to do, even for him at this point, I suspect. Those who want to be fully informed about this tragic incident must simply spend the time and make the effort to read everything that has been published. The same should be said concerning many other situations. I think those that make this effort will see a definite pattern, and it will no doubt disturb them, as well it should. The state of leadership on the district levels in the synods is in a sad way in many cases. As Tony would say, "'Nuf said!"


  1. Anonymous,

    After my letter was published by another blogger, I was encouraged by WELS pastors and other laymen to go public myself which I eventually did.

    However, the issue here is not whether I said anything publicly, but rather your assertion that I did things out of order and rudely. You said I "got up at almost every meeting to accuse his pastor of plagiarism." That is a false statement. It is not even remotely true. But even if I had, so what? Do we kick people out for telling the truth?

    I followed the rules to the best of my ability, and I endeavored to document and prove everything I said. You should read my letters, and deal with the issues I raised instead of complaining about how I allegedly raised them.

    Even a rude messenger can deliver the truth. Your ultra sensitivity to imagined rudeness tells me you have not read very many of Luther's works. Unlike the Northern Wisconsin District, Luther did not confuse the old covenant of choosing life (Deuteronomy 30:19-20) with the new and better covenant of Jesus Christ (Hebrews 8:4-13). "For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion to look for a second." (Hebrews 8:7). Christ made the old covenant obsolete because he established a new covenant which is by grace through faith, and this not from ourselves. (Ephesians 2:8). The people who terminated fellowship with me were teaching that Christians could choose to believe, and they cited Deuteronomy 30:19-20 (the old covenant) as proof. No one has ever tried to explain to me how this does not conflate the old and the new covenants, and the law with the gospel. They just said, you disagree with us, therefore you are out of our fellowship.

    Here is a blog post I wrote about choosing to believe:
    https://vdma.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/can-christians-choose-to-believe-gods-word/

    To my knowledge, no one has tried to refute that. Moses told us to obey the law and live (Deuteronomy 30:16), but the writer to the Hebrews says that Christ established a new covenant based on better promises, promises based on grace alone.

    Anonymous said that I was merely removed from membership, and not terminated from doctrinal fellowship. However, my brother was removed from membership at the same meeting that I was terminated from fellowship. So there is a difference. That has also been documented, and anyone who cares to know the truth can discover it.

    For anyone who wants to deal with the actual issues of doctrine and theology, I have presented plenty of documentation on my own blog. I do not plan to comment here any longer.

    Finally, I do not regret speaking out according to my conscience. I endeavored to tell the truth, and to document everything I said. I am sorry if someone got the impression I was being rude, but that is completely irrelevant. The truth is what matters. Christ is what matters. Because of sin, the truth sometimes hurts, but that is why Christ came, so that the truth can also bring joy.

    Sincerely,
    Rick Techlin