Saturday, August 22, 2015

More about My Kin on ChurchMouse - The Huguenots

Irrelevant kitty photo.

ChurchMouse:

The other footnote has a marvellous quote from historian John Finnemore’s 1924 book, Social Life in England (italics in the original):
Between 1670 and 1690 no less a number than 80,000 French Protestants came to England.They were well received, and they were worthy of a welcome. For one and all belonged to the thrifty, hard-working, deft-handed class which has always been the salt of France.
More posts on the Huguenots in Britain will follow next week.
***
GJ - Years ago, I was reading one of my books on the Huguenots; it seemed new and yet familiar at the same time. I discovered that I had two excellent histories and happened upon my second one by chance when going through my library. Those were the days I was collecting and reading rapidly.
The French Roman Catholics foolishly persecuted the Protestants, because they were the core of the French navy. Many of them joined the British navy, and the French were never again a naval power.
Industrious and skilled would certainly describe my father's family, the Noel clan. My father was not just a baker, but one still talked about today, 20 years after he died. He used the best ingredients in all his products and trashed anything less than perfect, sometimes sending them home for us to use: "The night crew ruined the danish, so you kids can eat them." 
LI was just talking about the cinnamon fries my father made. When Melo-Cream was going to close, I arranged to buy 80 dozen of our favorite doughnuts for our deep freezer, to delay the grief and angst. We piled them up in the car, with many in the back seat, next to LI. As we drove along LI distributed whatever doughnut we ordered up - and he took his share too.
My father will be in a new book about leaders from my hometown. The local radio station called him the other manager of the radio station, because the actual owner and manager always listened to my father's advice about radio programming. 
The Jacksons are always generous in sharing their opinions.
Little Ichabod looks exactly like his son, many years later, in this pose.