The clergy are almost immune to doctrinal and Biblical study. The synods have mastered the art of teaching synod-worship at their seminaries. The thought of Holy Mother Sect being wrong about anything is too horrible for the clergy to contemplate. Besides that, they look around and see where the clergy casualties are:
- Alcoholism and DUIs - nope.
- Adultery - nope.
- Divorcing and marrying the mistress - nope.
- Homosexual activities - nope.
- Pedophilia - nope.
- Laziness and incompetence - nope.
- Questioning the synod - oh yes, a thousand times yes.
- "In our circles, this has always meant..."
- "Our synod teaches that..."
- "Synod says..."
- "I had him as a professor at seminary and he taught..."
- "We don't worship Luther."
- "I am a Christ-ian, not a Faith-ian. Your faith is in faith, not in Christ."
That does not offer up the body with its lusts, but rather fosters the evil desires of the flesh; this sacrifices the body and mortifies its lusts. The former permits the offering up to itself of gold and property, of honor, of idleness and pleasure, and of all manner of lust on earth; the latter foregoes these things and accepts only the reverse of homage. That again sacrifices Christ in its awful perversions; this, satisfied with the atonement once made by Christ, offers up itself with him and in him, by making similar sacrifices.
In fact, the two priesthoods accord about as well as Christ and Barabbas, as light and darkness, as God and the world. As little as smearing and shaving were factors in Christ’s priesthood, so little will they thus procure for anyone the Christian priesthood. Yet Christ, with all his Christians, is priest. “Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.”
| A Straw Man ignites - "I am a Christ-ian, not a Faith-ian."|
Luther called himself a Faith-ian.