|Pokeweed is not invited into the garden.|
Pokeweed comes on its own, via birds.
If anyone wonders why the same plant has so many names, just ask people what a particular weed is. The answers vary and those names doubtless get passed on to others. In Phoenix, this was common, where the Monarch butterfly was never seen but named when a Viceroy showed up. Weeds were confidently given the wrong name.
I bought a large book on Weeds of the West and learned a lot about how to distinguish one from another. One way to tell a minister is a gardener is when he lists a Wednesday service as a Mid-Weed Service. And yet it is true. Gardening, weeding, and theology go together.
Our primary weeds at this time are
- Bermudagrass, aptly called Wiregrass, and Devil's Grass
- Separating the Holy Spirit from the Word
- Treating the Sacraments as ordinances
- Reason judges the Word
- The pope - and all clergy teaching in harmony with the pope - cannot err in in doctrine. The Holy Spirit will not allow error in teaching.
- Justification by Faith means "faith adorned by good works." Justification by Faith is rejected and condemned.
- Since nobody can do enough adorning with good works, Purgatory is promised.
- Jesus is a law-giver, and Moses is the savior.
- Mary is given the attributes of Jesus - kindness, mercy, love, and forgiveness. Mary commands Jesus to be compassionate.
- Justification by Faith is the Chief Article of Christianity, the Master and Prince, the judge of all other articles of faith.
- The efficacy of the Word (Isaiah 55:8-10) is the foundation of all teaching, the Spirit always working with the Word, the Word always working with the Spirit.
- God's graces comes only through the Means of Grace, so the Sacraments are the visible Word - Holy Baptism and Holy Communion.
- Rejects and condemns Justification by Faith and teaches Objective Justification (universal absolution without faith) as the Chief Article (Zarling, Bivens, Buchholz, Webber).
- Teaches that the synodical leaders cannot err, because "the Holy Spirit has put them in their office."
- Gladly works with ELCA on one hand, but also worshiping with and learning under liberal Babtists, Pentecostals, and other Pietistic sects.
| WELS-ELS-CLC (sic) babies are trained from birth|
to give others the stink-eye.
- Teaches Universalism, like the leaders of WELS-ELS-LCMS-CLC (sic) and mocks Justification by Faith.
- Rejects the Holy Trinity, described by the "confessional" ELCA dogmatics as simply "The Father, the man Jesus, and the spirit of the believing community."
- Rejects Biblical inerrancy and cannot grasp the Atonement.
- Ordains women, has women bishops, and practices pan-sexuality.
- Loves to work with LCMS and WELS/ELS, but only on ELCA's terms.