Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Tips on Proof-Reading


No book is printed error-free, so the first rule is -
Just try to reduce the total number. No one is perfect. The ancients said "Even good Homer nods."

I have found that the easiest way for me to find what the proof-reader has spotted is to have the questionable phrase copied into the email. No one can write five words in a row that are identical to another's, so a phrase is a fast way to find the error when I look over the list - yes, faster than giving the page number. (That is also how I spot plagiarism in student paper's, and I use Turn It In for that.)

For those who have never heard David Scare's rambling, illogical declarations,

I think you mean Scaer...

That is an example I just made up from a post.

I am sure the Luther sermons have OCR goofs from the original transfer from the printed page - to the website - to the blog. They scanned the sermon books and put that on the website. Every so often there is a % or something like that. Some words make no sense because of OCR confusion, so running Word's spell and grammar check could help find those.

So copy and paste the problem into an email.

Note the volume you are working on, and the page number.

Make a suggestion about the correction.

Anyone who helps with a volume will learn a lot of Lutheran theology. The sermons are his best work. The Large Catechism is comprised of an edited edition of Luther's sermons.

 Join the Rebel Alliance.
Read Luther.