Wednesday, March 8, 2017

What's Up in the March Garden

 Soon, but not yet.


The roses are leafing out already and will be pruned soon. They love being pruned, and I enjoy the response to the pruning.

Crepe Myrtles are late to produce anything, but they bloom all summer, so I forgive them.

The mother of all forsythias is starting to bloom, so I hope to get a good photograph of this giant when it is fully formed at my neighbor's home.

The elderberries leafed out early. They spread on their own, which is good. I like useful plants that spread on their own.

Cat Mint (not catnip) is growing well from my Direct Gardening buy last fall. Mints can be invasive and obnoxious, but they are also frequent bloomers and good landings for beneficial insects. I only like clumping mints. Those that spread through the roots are a disaster in time.

I will be looking for Mountain Mint sprouting soon in the main rose garden. Once established Mountain Mint can inspire feverish insect activity, like particles around an atom.

Daffodils are starting to appear above the soil. Others have them in full bloom. Tulips should bloom after.