Monday, June 11, 2018

Hidden Lily Wild Ginger

 I did not expect much - lots of green leaves last year.
This year the flowers pushed up from below and seemed lit, like this photo.

Curcuma longa - Grow Turmeric In Your Garden


To get a tropical look in a warm temperate garden, there is a short list of plants that fit the bill. One of my favorites is the little-known genus Curcuma which includes Curcuma longa the culinary spice turmeric. Curcuma, or hidden cone gingers, is a genus of mostly tropical plants known for their dramatic bold foliage, flamboyant floral show. Curcuma can range in height from just under 2' to over 7' tall. The slightly hidden flowers resemble psychedelic pinecones...a nice trip back to the 1960s.



Various experiences from Dave's Garden.


GJ - A member wrote about how beautiful the Hidden Lily flower was on the altar. I bought a bunch of the roots from a supplier - on sale. They came up, about shoulder high, all green. Last summer everyone wanted to know what they were. I said, "Wild Ginger Hidden Lily, and the lily is well hidden."

The plants came up where I put them, and I made sure they were watered last summer. They drooped when they wanted more water, like pumpkins and corn. But I never saw flowers. They probably needed to build up more storage underground

The warmest and sunniest area is the Butterfly Garden, and that is where they flowered last week. I expected flowers up on the stalk, but the flowers came out of the ground, the coloring making them look lit from within.

I bought Butteryfly Bush from Ty Ty Nursery and I like them. They also sell various kinds of ginger, including this one.

Sometimes I get something exotic on sale, and this is an example of a great find. Now I am more inclined to multiply the Joe Pye and hosta through division and fill in some herbal needs from The Growers Exchange.

My favorite site for plants is The Growers Exchange. They belong to the class of vendors that carefully ship and label plants. Other examples are Hostas Direct and The Crepe Myrtle Company.

The only place to start shopping for bulbs is Dutch Gardens. They are better and bigger bulbs at lower prices than the ones included in various gardening catalogs. I have bought from them for about 20 years.