Monday, June 18, 2018

Loud Sassy, Kids, and Gardening for Moms.
There Are No Good Gardeners, Only Good Weeders

Sassy is looking at the photographer on the floor.
This is her amused look when my antics puzzle her.

Yesterday Sassy got her evening stroll, limited to our cul-de-sac. We have evening shade and almost no traffic, unlike the busy Scott Street, which some treat as a race track.

The kids treat our street as their playground, so cars are very careful. This was a small reunion for the Laotian family across the street, so the adults watched the 6 and 7 year-olds pet Sassy. We talked about her loud barking and their sudden discovery of her missing leg. Sassy and I walked across to our house, and they were behind. "Look, a garden! Roses."

I asked, "Do you want some for your moms?" They are cousins. I went inside for my collection of soft drink cups, which are good, expendable vases. "McDonalds! I love McDonalds," the boy said.



I got them the remaining roses plus a Wild Ginger flower and some Balloon flowers. They popped several "balloons," which is what the expended flowers look like. They took their rose bouquets across the street, where the adults were smiling and waving.

Sassy was very happy. She adds people to her list as she gets to know them. Then she is not so barky with excitement. But nobody can stop her when she is. I figure it is a safety valve to keep her from exploding with happiness.



After the 6 AM, Editing the Garden
A big mulching project was delayed, so I decided to devote some morning time each day to editing the garden. Grassy weeds were starting to annoy me.

I have a battery clipper which ideal for trimming weeds around the Daisies, Joe Pyes, and roses. Mulch kills most weeds and composts them, but the opportunistic weeds on the perimeter get extra water and some open space to re-establish.

I am using layers of newspaper, wood mulch, and leftover peat moss to shut down the sunlight that enboldens the weeds. Mulching is modular, so I have extra mulch here and there to pile on top of the latest edit.


  1. Trim weeds down to the ground, instead of pulling them,
  2. Add a layer of newspaper, sometimes cardboard.
  3. Pile on powdered peat from the two bales I have left from 2017.
  4. Put wood mulch on top.

Ranger Bob's cat came through the garden, not seeing me. I said, "Here kitty," and she took off. She loves my Cat Mint and visits all the time, rubbing her fur against it. The Mountain Mint is tall and giving off strong mint aromas. Soon it will bloom and gather an airfleet of pollinators.

Cat Mint bloomed early and has remained in bloom. The Horse Mint - purple bergamot - is now in full bloom. All three grow by clumping rather than taking over the entire garden. I told my helper, "Do not plant Peppermint." Soon he was bewailing its spread. "I told you." I drive by where his family used to live - lots of Peppermint and the Purple Splash roses I gave them.

 Fragrant Cloud rose is one of our favorites.

When Is a Good Time To Prune Roses?
Short answer - always. They love being pruned and grow even more flowers.

When I am sitting on the ground, weeding, I have a good view of the roses' need for pruning. I clip every one within reach.


 Hot Cocoa is has more orange in our garden,
but climate does change color and fragrance to some extent.