Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Gideon Drops a Line Since SpenerQuest Is Offering Free Rent for My Little Blog at Their Skunk Patch.
They Need To Study the Scriptures and Luther

A few posts make the UOJ Stormtroopers stampede like Brownies encountering a spider.

Pastor,

I read the recent posts on UOJ, and I always wonder, why?  Why do they try too hard to make this UOJ/OJ/SJ harmonize with Scripture and Lutheranism in general.

I used to believe that it was to somehow protect the work of Christ and fend off Arminianism.  But, why bother since we already have Universal Atonement?  Doesn't make sense.

I honestly believe that most folks, especially lay people pay lip service to UOJ/OJ/SJ without knowing what it really means, but to those who vigorously defend it--  I say they do so out of cowardice and unbelief.  As you said yourself that you endorse "...the efficacy of the Word, the Means of Grace, and Justification by Faith."  These all fit together.

This is where unbelief plays a role.  If one has no faith in the Efficacy of the Word (and consequently The Means of Grace), then one would certainly be tempted to "sell their argument" or "sell the Gospel."  How sweet would UOJ be if one were to peddle that to sell the Gospel.  "You've won $1,000,000!  You're justified! You're good!"  They just don't ever talk about their fine print SJ.  That's just legalese to them.

UOJ is an easy sell because there's no law to preach, just decide to believe and sanctify.  This way they can kinda have it both ways.  But all they really do is cheapen grace.  Small law, small god, easy sell.

But, it's not about the sale.  It's about the Efficacy of the Word.  There is no sale.


If they believed in the Efficacy of the Word and the Means of Grace, they wouldn't have to resort to UOJ or hedging their bets.  They could simply trust that God will do what he says he'll do (Isaiah 55:10-11), and if their institutions aren't included in his plan for history...so be it because that's what faith does.  "O God, this looks really bad.  I think I'll die for sure, but I trust in you."  c.f. Daniel 3 - The Fiery Furnace.

SDG,
Gideon

***

GJ - I appreciate their efforts in sending people to this blog and waking Lutherans up to their foul errors. Every day I have a lecture hall with thousands of readers. Our free worship services have "21,486 TOTAL VIEWS."

I have not seen anything serious from them, even though I took the time - which I enjoyed - going over Romans 4 and 5 in Greek and English. Since they make their beds in those verses and fall asleep dreaming of Halle and the earlier, halcyon days with Huber, they must be irritable, lacking in sleep, or suffering from withdrawal of various substances.