Saturday, September 15, 2018

A Nursery for Hostas


The blueberry patch was turned into a cafe for squirrels, so I gave the plants to our dentist's mother. I covered the area with pine needles, so it was somewhat acidic (favorable for blueberries) and almost weed-free.

Hostas like acidic soil and Mrs. Ichabod loves Hostas. I was less interested until a number of lightbulbs went on:
  1. Mr. Gardener's Hostas, planted in that garden, attracted Hummingbirds.
  2. Hostas have the same needs as roses, and can be divided and spread around the rose garden.
  3. I needed something there that multiplied for free without being invasive.
I dialed up HostasDirect to get a few plants on sale. I ended up with some Elegans and Appletini.

Hosta Elegans
I was interested in unusual colors, because an earlier buy from Direct Gardening got me a golden Hosta.

Hosta Appletini

Hostas have many colors, textures, and sizes. Do they have a purpose?

The Japanese raised them for food, which explains why they are tasty to deer, rabbits, and squirrels. They do not seem to like mature plants, so the least expensive starts are also the tastiest. This may be why gardening can be stressful, if the rabbits and squirrels are gaslighting the residents. "Didn't we have a thriving Patriot there yesterday?"

"What happened to the ones on sale from Direct Gardening?"

Liberty Hostas. Many varieties of Hosta are green with different amounts of yellow or white.