Friday, November 2, 2018

Fall and Winter - The Tiny Things Matter Most

Vanilla Spice is another form of Clethra.





I was discussing fall and winter with famed editor Virginia Roberts, who is well acquainted with science. I had a copy of Darwin's Black Box to share. I do not argue Creation from science, but I enjoy discussions about the topic. I have yet to see "science" contradict Creation.




We discussed how the tiniest parts of Creation are the most fascinating, because they carry out complex operations perfectly. We all know the answers to the behavior of animals - instinct. Why do first-time mothers take care of their young so well? Answer - instinct. Why do bees do a dance to lead their colleagues back to food? Answer - instinct. Why do birds fly South for the winter? Answer - instinct. We should not ask Who wrote the software for this instinct, all instincts working in perfect harmony. But what drives the bacteria, fungus, protozoa, and other microbes?

Darwin's Black Box argues that evolution was easier to sell when no one knew the workings of nature at the microscopic level. In essence, technology and research have undermined the foundations of evolution.


I have either done or avoided most of the work. Now the autumn rains, leaves, and mold start the winter tasks. The old chemical gardeners thought green = nitrogen = growth, but I think rotting leaves = carbon = fungal growth. Nobody would put on nitrogen fertilizer in the fall, though it works on grass - if grass is your passion. And strangely, people treat these useful, power-packed leaves as toxic invaders of the yard and garden. Rake them, burn them, haul them away! I like their attitude - I take their piles of leaves and improve my soil over winter months. I can be standing in piles of leaves in the early spring and yet have none in the late spring - all turned into soil ingredients by earthworms and mites.

Meanwhile, the roots work all winter to improve their fantastic network with fungi, the fungal growth fed by carbon.

Our little congregation is similar. We are few and scattered. But by God's design and will, we use the Word to spread the Gospel in many ways. Sassy and I walk door to door, but we also go country-to-country through the Net, with followers all over the world. In the old days, anonymous scolds made a point to say how nobody read the blog, nobody gave any credibility to the factual reporting, the doctrinal discussions. I miss copying the comments into the main body of the blog so people could observe their eructations forever and ever.