Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Sassy Yips for Her Cone

Ranger Bob laughs when we drive by, because I am the chauffeur and Sassy is my passenger in the back seat, barking out the open window.


Like any child, Sassy picks up on words that suggest something she enjoys. Yesterday I hinted at a trip for medicine and "should I bring back a quarter cheese plain"...Sassy's face turned toward me and she grinned her closing grin, "You are taking me along, aren't you?"

When I confirmed the trip, Sassy was all over the place, barking and bouncing around in joy. She likes the Town Car especially, because her window opens and she gets a ton of attention at McDonalds. The ice cream machine has been down, so I went with some worry about the main reason for going: not medicine, not groceries, not a sandwich, but The Cone. I eat the top part and she finishes, something we have done since rescuing her in Phoenix, about 10 years ago. There we went for bottled water and a sugar cone. Eating the cone meant having taps on my shoulder - from the back seat - to remind me that my passenger wanted her share.

Sassy was wound up for this trip. When I ordered, her face was out near the screen, making various canine sounds of impatience. Yes, they had cones! Yip. When I approached the window to pay, Sassy's favorite cashier was grinning at her. We spoke about the cone situation and Sassy began high-pitched yips of delight. The cashier loved the display.

Sassy turns an ordinary trip into an event. It usually ends with a Sassy story, and she enjoys hearing about her adventures, told to her mom in great detail. Morning walks are similar. People come out of their homes to see her, and she pauses at favorite homes to see if anyone is up and about.

Sassy refused to sit next to the McDonald statue alone.


 A stranger offered to take our photo with Ronald, so Sassy complied.