Sunday, January 5, 2020

Careful Use of the Catechism - From Luther


"I, too, am a theologian who has attained a fairly good practical knowledge and experience of Holy Scriptures through various dangers.  But I do not so glory in this gift as not to join my children daily in prayerfully reciting the Catechism, that is, the Ten Commandments, the Creed, and the Lord's Prayer and meditating on them with an attentive heart.  I do not merely pass over the words hurriedly, but I carefully observe what the individual word means… For God gave the Word that we should impress it on ourselves as Moses says (Deut 6.7), and practice it.  Without this practice our souls become rusty, as it were, and we lose ourselves. (from Luther's exposition of Psalm 126.)"

What Luther Says, Luther on the Small Catechism