Friday, March 13, 2020

Impertinent, Spoiled Squirrel Solicits Food at the Kitchen Window



Sassy and I have an arrangement. She likes fresh Moist and Meaty dogfood, and I like to feed the birds. Therefore, she gets a fresh little bag of her regular food - after I have tossed the dried remnants on the garbage barrel lids. She waits for some treats to be added on top of the fresh food. Ranger Bob has spoiled her terribly - I keep telling him.

I was shopping on an icy day recently, so I bought a cheap bag of birdfeed, mostly corn kernels and random bits of peanuts and sunflower seeds. I scatter that on the lawn and on the barrel lids.

I looked out the window one morning to check the barrels - and saw a juvenile squirrel go through its comedy or drama - starving, needs food immediately, thousands will disappear, maybe forever. He peered into the kitchen to see if compassion was still a virtue in our household.

It was a warm, sunny day with an abundance of food available. I laughed and took a bunch out for him and his tribe.

 The bird swing became Interstate 1 for the squirrels. They could balance on the metal and eat with a little practice.