Tuesday, March 17, 2020

The Invalid Whose Hymn Has Taught Grace and Divine Purpose to Thousands.
The Lutheran Library Has Over 150 Titles Now

 Charlotte Elliott is included in Lutheran Library's Memory Hymns.

Charlotte Elliott came from a clergy family, but she was uncertain about salvation, until a pastor used the phrase - "just as you are." Mid-life, she suffered from an illness that left her in considerable pain. She devoted her time to writing and editing material to comfort others. Most people could not name the author of this hymn, but almost everyone knows the lyrics.

When she died, the family found a thousand letters among her possessions, all thanking her for the comfort she provided in her written work. She avoided taking credit to such an extent that one person gave her a leaflet with these words printed on it, to ease her suffering. She was thankful that her words had taken flight.


"Just as I Am, without One Plea"
by Charlotte Elliott, 1789-1871

1. Just as I am, without one plea
But that Thy blood was shed for me
And that Thou bidd'st me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

2. Just as I am and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot,
To Thee, whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

3. Just as I am, though tossed about
With many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings and fears within, without,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

4. Just as I am, poor, wretched, blind;
Sight, riches, healing of the mind,
Yea, all I need, in Thee to find,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

5. Just as I am, Thou wilt receive,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
Because Thy promise I believe,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

6. Just as I am; Thy love unknown
Has broken every barrier down.
Now to be Thine, yea, Thine alone,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Hymn #388
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: John 6:37
Author: Charlotte Elliott, 1836
Composer, First Tune: George J. Elvey, 1862
First Tune: "St. Crispin"
Composer, Second Tune: William B. Bradbury, 1849
Second Tune: "Woodworth"

 The online version of Memory Hymns is found here.
“If we can add to our mind treasury the twenty-four leading hymns of the Christian church, what a splendid employment it will be! — Rev. Amos Wells

On This Page

Why These 24 Hymns To Memorize?

“On the way to the Denver Christian Endeavor Convention, Mrs. F. E. Clark asked a large number of distinguished clergymen and eminent laymen that were upon the train, to prepare a list of what they considered the most beautiful and helpful Christian hymns. They did so, and a large and exceedingly fine list was the result… It is hoped that they will be committed to memory by all Juniors, and it is suggested that one of these hymns be repeated in concert at every Junior meeting for a month. Let the pastor or superintendent tell the story of the hymn, and give an opportunity for those who can bring in additional stories to do so.

Listing of Hymns

  • “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God” by Martin Luther
  • “Abide with Me” by Henry Francis Lyte
  • “All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name” by Edward Perronet
  • “Am I a Soldier of the Cross” by Isaac Watts
  • “Awake, My Soul” by Bishop Thomas Ken
  • “Calm on the Listening Ear of Night” by Edmund Hamilton Sears
  • “From Greenland’s Icy Mountains” by Bishop Heber
  • “God Be With You Till We Meet Again” by J. E. Rankin
  • “God Bless Our Native Land” by Charles T. Brooks and John S. Dwight
  • “How Firm a Foundation” Probably by Robert Keene
  • “In the Cross of Christ I Glory” by Sir John Bowring
  • “Jesus, Lover of My Soul” by Charles Wesley
  • “Just as I Am” by Charlotte Elliott
  • “My Country, Tis of Thee” by Samuel Francis Smith
  • “My Faith Looks Up to Thee” by Ray Palmer
  • “Nearer, My God, to Thee” by Sarah Flower Adams
  • “O Day of Rest and Gladness” by Bishop Wordsworth
  • “O Little Town of Bethlehem” by Bishop Brooks
  • “Onward, Christian Soldiers” by Sabine Baring-Gould
  • “Rock of Ages” by Augustus M. Toplady
  • “Speed Away!” by Fanny Crosby
  • “Stand Up, Stand Up For Jesus!” by George Duffield
  • “Sun of My Soul” by John Keble
  • “Take My Life” by Frances Ridley Havergal

Order a Printed Copy