Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Newspapers and the Synods



I have a daily newspaper route. I only have two non-paying customers on Sunday, one during the week. I began when I saw how poor the service was - and still is.

For $30 a month, my next-door neighbor (with a heart condition) had to walk out almost to the street for his paper. Often it was behind the cars, even under a car, so he could not see where it was from the porch. I volunteered to get his newspaper to the door and to pull his garbage cans. His widow only gets the Sunday paper.

Ranger Bob works for that newspaper, and soon it will close all print editions except Sunday.  Many will then drop the Sunday paper because they are so unhappy with the newspaper.

Printed newspapers lost out from charging too much and poor service. Anyone can get a paper at or very near the door, but that challenge will soon be gone.

The Lutheran synods are similar. They could have maintained the standards of doctrine and worship, but they chose Calvinism and marketing instead. The synods are being dropped in the same way newspaper and magazine subscriptions are.