Sunday, May 10, 2020

Mother's Day Roses - And Feeding the Cardinal Mama

Today, everyone on the block got an Easy Does It rose or two in a Panera vase. The roses all had stems of 12 inches or more. One was special, with six blooms on one long stem. That went to Misty, the mother of four wonderful girls, with husband Lee - a family of six. Photo by Misty.

We knew the two Easy Does It rose bushes would produce for Mother's Day. The families on our cul-de-sac enjoy receiving them on their doorsteps at 7 am - or whenever they get up. Ranger Bob said once, "Why did I get one. I am not a mother." I said, "Bob, you have a mother. Even in heaven she is still your mother." This year he got the only Veterans Honor red rose in bloom, and he took it to the cemetery.



The Cardinal Mama Stopped By - 
The Sunflower Seeds Flowed

I was in and out of the kitchen when I saw a female cardinal feeding on the almost empty barrels where I place the sunflower seeds.

How could I neglect her on Mother's Day? I brought out an empty rose vase (Panera) and filled it with black sunflower seeds. I refilled the barrel tops and scattered the seeds in the garden and grass for supper. That allows more critters to eat at once.