Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Retire from Enjoyable Tasks? Why?

 Notice that donuts reached their peak the year I was born, the year so many classmates were born. We are all six dozen years old this year, that is 1/2 gross years.

I am not considering retirement in any area of activity. I was thinking about most of my peers being retired, whether in one profession or another.

What would I give up?

Writing - I finished a book on Luther's Galatians that I thought needed to be out there. I have started one on Walther, rebuying some books I gave away, and planning another one the Biblical text and translations.

Working on publishing with Alec Satin, Norma Boeckler, Janie Sullivan, and Virgnia Roberts, plus many other helpers - that is fulfilling, fun, and very worthwhile.

Social media is fun. I just blog-posted the 50th wedding anniversary of a Moline classmate who was in our fabulous chem-physics class.

Bethany Lutheran Church - Blogging gathered the initial members and video has included many other people. Sometimes we are a flu and snowstorm church for those who cannot attend their local church. I enjoy working on the sermons and the hymns.

Bethany Lutheran Mission - Philippines - I was volunteered into this role, and I enjoy almost daily contact with Pastor and Mrs. Jordan Palangyos. God works through His effective Word, and we have seen support for the mission grow over time, the Gospel and Sacraments provided where this couple came from.

Besides that, Travis Cartee started his Audio Gutenberg ministry.

Norma Boeckler continues her wonderful Christian art. After producing her own books, she has helped others produce theirs.

Gardening? The rewards are many times the labor involved.

 The small but influential altar guild encourages gardening to continue and even to expand. A new book will feature photos, with only a few words as a guide.