Thursday, July 30, 2020

The Cloud Burst That Didn't

 Every case of tea in this Chinese warehouse is soaked by the flooding.

I used my A+ methods to induce rain, went inside, and almost went to the mailbox. The street was dark with a waterfall of rain that I could not believe. I went back for my umbrella. When I opened the door, the rain was gone. I was holding an umbrella for naught.

Meanwhile, the Borage is knee-high, no longer the petite little herb with bees crawling over the blooms.

The densest part of the garden looks well watered, but the most open part needs watering. Why?

The dense part practices water storage underground. Clay soil is quite absorbent but also lets water run off the top. Our sidewalks burst with greenery. However, the deeply rooted Joe Pyes and the dense Bee Balms open up channels to the lower soil levers, where the soil easily traps the rainwater, aided by the thirsty microbes and greedy soil creatures.

Bully plants - like Bee Balm and Joe Pye - shade the ground for themselves, which reduces evaporation. It almost looked planned, if you know what I mean.

Sassy can tell time. It is 7 AM, and that is her limit for walks. She taps the mattress to remind me I spent too much time reading about the Three Gorges Dam.

 The TGD must expel water to survive. One engineer said about his craft, "Always bet on the water." I think the photographer is standing too close.