Monday, August 30, 2021

So Many To Thank

 


There are too many names to thank at 4 AM. After Christina's funeral we went to a restaurant and friends spoke about their experiences with a remarkable, patient, and loving Christian. I would have said something myself, but I would not have gotten past the fourth word. I am sure others had the same feelings. I enjoyed hearing what friends had to say.

Redemption and Eternal Life are the central themes of life. Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress is well known to our group. We have read and studied the second most printed book in English after the King James Bible. Because The Pilgrim's Progress is so completely Biblical, we can all identify where we are and have been in that work.

 
CHRISTIAN. We, indeed, came both together, until we came at the Slough of Despond, into the which we also suddenly fell. And then was my neighbour, Pliable, discouraged, and would not venture further. Wherefore, getting out again on that side next to his own house, he told me I should possess the brave country alone for him; so he went his way, and I came mine--he after Obstinate, and I to this gate.



The most unlikely person turned to me with a grin he could not suppress, "That Shrader guy, the preacher. He is really good. I like what he said, those quotes from Luther, and how he really gave a great lesson." Of all the people there, that was the least expected and most startling in a joyous way. Ministers expect the faithful to respond to the Gospel - those with decades of experience in church, Bible study, conferences, and home study. 

Pastor Shrader and your dear wife Chris - you drove down here in spite of illness and physical difficulties. You delivered a sermon about the Christian Faith that bypassed decades of  personal hurt, physical abuse and suffering, menial work, crushing wounds caused by fake Christians. Aiming at truth, the Word bypassed all those obstacles and landed in one person's heart.

Some preachers are very popular and are often quoted. Some become wealthy for nefarious reasons. Others are ground up by the remorseless march toward apostasy and the Last Days. God only knows who loves the truth and spends the energy to hand the unhidden Treasures of the Gospel. In the end, God only can know. But the evidence is there.