Saturday, April 8, 2023

Simple and Inexpensive Ways To Bring God's Creations Closer

 

I think his name was Never Enough. He brought empty corn cobs to the house to suggest he needed a refill.

By chance I grew one of the meanest and most aggressive roses...ever. The canes are thick, tall,  and strong, loaded with savage thorns, topped by the smallest rose blooms in the garden. I would dig it up except for its singular virtue - tiny birds are perfectly safe and happy there. Beneficial insects and spiders enjoy this kind of habitat, just off the front porch the Military Gardening Group occupies.

People love birds, squirrels, and insects, so a little bit of luxury is greatly appreciated. I was warned not to place the hummingbird feeder too close to the porch, so I did. Now they come within inches, utterly fearless and gracious in their acrobatic sips of hummer juice.

I clang the backyard chimes to let the creatures know about food. Sometimes, when I go outside to check on flowers, I hear a bird's "ahem" to remind me that more food is needed. I dump food and go inside to wait for company inviting themselves for a meal. They take turns, all the various sizes, but grackles want to dominate, and their cousins the starlings also arrive as major groups. 

I kid Big John about his feeding of the birds, because they perch high in the trees to keep watch over his cafeteria and mine, a street apart. I add two or more swimming places for birds and critters to bathe and preen. 

Every level of Creation plays a part, from the microbes feeding the higher life forms to the hawks relying on rabbits and mice. Soon the hoses will be out and the swimming pools will be frequently washed and filled to the splashing point. Starlings love to bathe in groups, so they dip and splash and compete for the water.

Last night I had two large slices of pineapple, pruned of its armored covering, saved for the critters. With luck I will have a squirrel squatting on the barrel this morning, delicately separating the fruit from its outer layer. When almost nothing edible is left, the remains get pushed onto the soil to feed the microbes and ants.

When fridge fruit is long gone, I leave the remains for Possum Pete, who waddles near the house for food treats. Sassy and PP met one night, but neither was afraid of the other, just curious.

Sassy used to survey Big John's front yard, certain that food was scattered for her post-breakfast. John and Pat enjoyed seeing Sassy patrol the yard and stare at the front door, hoping a sausage would be delivered. 

 Cardinals and blue jays love field corn.