Friday, June 2, 2023

Hummingbird Season - Easy, Fun, and Educational

 

 Bee Balm

The Creation gardens are maturing - front, back, and sides. The sides are doing well because of my early blunders. I tried Triple Crown Blackberries on one sunny side, and I am still trying to stop them. I build a hay-bale garden on the opposite side and fashioned a haven for slugs who ate the strawberries the birds did not grab.

 Girls still make dresses with Hollyhock flowers.


The backyard gardens are raising four more Clethra shrubs on one side of the backdoor, Joe Pye Weed and Poke Weed on the other side. I thought we were moving Hostas to the back gardens, but the plants left behind some of the roots and bounced back in the front while flourishing in the back.

Everyone loves roses almost as much as I do, but I also enjoy building a playground for pollinators - hummingbirds, butterflies, bees of all kinds, wasps, and more. 

Pollinator plants I grow include:

  1. Clethra shrubs - the Cinnabon plant.
  2. Joe Pye Weed and Little Joe Pye
  3. Poke Weed
  4. Cat Mint, Mountain Mint, Bee Balm
  5. Clover, Borage, Comfrey, Clover
  6. Hostas - now blooming
  7. Daisies - Shasta and Coconut
  8. Butterfly Weed and its cousins
  9. Chaste Tree
  10. Crepe Myrtle
  11. Elderberry
  12. Hollyhocks

 Ruby Spice Clethra