Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Fifty Years Ago and Year Two.
Bells for the Campanologist

Campanology is the scientific and musical study of bells. It encompasses the technology of bells – how they are founded, tuned and rung – as well as the history, methods, and traditions of bellringing as an art. It is common to collect together a set of tuned bells and treat the whole as one musical instrument. Wikipedia

 Campanologist - someone who loves and studies bells.

 


I was pushing a wheelchair today and later watching the use of IV antibiotics for a dangerous circulation problem. Surgery and procedures saved one or both legs.

Everyone talks about medical advances so I thought about 50 years ago, when Christina and I were both working at Yale Medical School. She was a researcher for a well known professor and writer of children's books, on the staff of the Yale Medical Child Study Center. I was a lowly xeroxer for the Yale Medical School Library. Researchers asked for journal articles. I went into the dark basement stacks and found the journal for xeroxing. 

We were great friends with Bruce and Betsy Wenger, not realizing he graduated at the top of his class at Yale Medical

Christina and I took the Yale shuttle bus over to the medical campus, sometimes together, sometimes solo. One stop was at Baskin Robbins, when they still made real ice cream. 

People would say, "The time will run so fast, you will not believe it." Those people have passed into eternal life, including my favorite professors and the pastor/bishop who helped ordain me.

Two years ago today, Christina transitioned to eternal life. That makes me think of many Yale episodes, trivial but fun, all adding up to the best of memories. Her professor, Joan Fassler, died young from cancer. Joan's husband, Leonard, lived until 2021. 

Leonard was the surprise person on the sidewalk in Chicago when Christina and I found ourselves walking behind him and two other businessmen. She was sure it had to be Lenny. I whispered, "He is a New York lawyer!" I conceded it was possible, so I yelled, "LENNY!" He turned around and mutual recognition lit up. Christina hugged him, and his friends said, "Lenny. Strange beautiful young women run up and hug you! What a gift!"

He helped in the legal battle to break up AT&T. He also kept us up to date about his dear wife.