Saturday, December 16, 2023

Strange Anomaly May Improve Health

 

Marvin Schwan made a fortune from high priced junk food.
The Waltherian synods adored him as a home-wrecker needing absolution.

Even now, his foundation pays for bad Bible translations for WELS worship!

I get all kinds of offers to try packaged "good health" things, like gummies for various kinds of nutrition.

I have excluded the following items for the shopping cart.

  1. All supplements in the over-the-counter area of the pharmacy. Milk variations, vitamins, and high protein compounds are yuk and bad for the Creator's handiwork.
  2. Frozen dinners, a fools-goldmine of salt, fat, and sugar.
  3. The Snack I'll - means "I'll Only eat one family-sized bag."
  4.  Ice cream - which is often not even ice cream but a formula based on milk and oil.


Part Two - 

Shocking Health Discoveries on the Wrong Aisles

Greens - Superfoods

The winners for having almost zero calories and tons of nutrition - the greens! Collards, kale, and turnip greens are joined by spinach in a competition for great results while losing weight and spending very little money. Fanny's Song (newly created) - "They fill up my stomach, like a day at the restaurant."

To find out how good the frozen, chopped greens are, ask this on Google - "Nutritional value of..." I normally use healthline.com for results.

This is the healthline link for collards. Very big on Vitamin K and also C. Lots of greens mean lots of Vitamin C. 

Citrus, Apples, Fruits

I have eaten so many apples that I tend to neglect citrus. I am willing to bet that daily citrus is far better than sugary throat lozenges. I am now getting regular citrus shipments instead of the variety boxes from Harry and David. My favorite helpers get fruit boxes when I am overloaded with WM produce and the shipments. One person is wild about pears, so he got some giant pears to take home. "I have never seen such huge pears!" That is how Harry and David, brothers, got started.

Blueberries and elderberries are being praised for their nutritional value. So are pomegranates. Supper is now two giant Crisp apples, with Charlie Sue getting one core. She also loves blueberries, bananas, and pears. She hated the first pear and stink-eyed me. After that, she loved pears.

I predict that a big shift away from fat-sugar-salt foods and into fruits will have a slow but dramatic effect on anyone. My vegetable consultant has suggested a lot of good, delicious food items. I have added my interest in the power of seeds and nuts - flax, anise, sesame, walnuts, and almonds. 

Lasting Impression

When my previous doctor saw my first blood panel, he was shocked at my perfect cholesterol level, achieved by eating walnuts every single day - on top of ice cream. I concede that the ice cream was not helping my weight or blood sugar. He was gleeful when I turned my incipient fears into 30 pounds of weight loss. The walnut experience convinced me of the value of health-giving foods. I used Joel Fuhrman books to wise up on the value of foods, which was truly shocking.

The next doctor was intrigued by my lack of prescriptions and lowered weight. My results got quite a bit better over time - blood sugar (A1C getting even better), kidney, etc. My cholesterol level was exactly the same, which made him grin in amazement, especially since I nixed ice cream  with monastic determination. That really matters because the official cure for bad cholesterol is based on blocking through statins, which are dubious, dangerous, and expensive.

My point is that the least expensive and least-managed foods are designed by the Creating Word to keep us healthy - even to cure many ills.  A large variety is not only less costly but also most valuable in its effects. 

Most of the grocery store is devoted to the inflated results of prepared food. They are like donuts. Donuts cost pennies to make, sell for dollars, and are addicting. 

I could walk around the store and make a fortune on the latest sore throat lozenges - "these delicious lemony things have zinc!" If I walked around trying to sell high zinc produce:

  1. Legumes - beans.
  2. Pumpkin and sesame seeds.
  3. Nuts, even peanuts.
  4. Dark chocolate.

Many would turn away from dark chocolate and be disgusted by the zinc foods! 

Beans are the plebes of food, easily grown, loaded with nutrition, derided for being plain but often "improved" by tons of salt, lots of sugar, and even Dr. Pepper flavoring. 

More on fiber later - the secret ingredient of the Creator.