Saturday, June 23, 2007

When Lutheran Pastors Cry


I was reminded of an incident when I ran into a news story, condensed below. I was talking to a WELS pastor when I was still serving in that sect. I mentioned that the synod had been an active participant in Lutheran World Relief for many years. He said, almost crying, "I can't believe that. I was born in WELS. I grew up in WELS. I never heard of that."

"OK," I went on, "your district president, Robert Mueller, serves on the board. He mentioned his recent meeting with the LCA Bishop Crumley and others. Besides, it is public knowledge, in published material, even a book."

He was stunned. The issue was how often and how joyously WELS worked with ELCA.

Our far-sighted Michigan District even gave money to the United Nations, for the CARE project.

Missouri members know enough about the world outside the synod womb to realize that their organization does not float above the earth, like so many legendary Roman Catholic saints. In fact, the Catholic saint stories sound remarkably like the hagiography of WELS and the ELS.

The true Church is invisible and not confined to the boundaries of any given sect, as many acknowledge but fail to believe. Lutheran leaders of the past were fairly self-less, as far as I can determine from the history books. Passavant was one of those heroes. There were many others. Now we have managers, not very good ones at that.

Long before the Clinton scandals erupted, with witnesses silenced, I saw the same methods used in the Lutheran Church. I documented some things for the future president of Bethany Seminary. He said, "If half of this is true, we are in trouble." I said, "All of it is true." The managers did me a big favor by challenging everything I brought up, so I stuck to what could be documented. The response has always been disbelief, shunning, and that old stand-by - the personal attack. They are not content to attack the bearer of bad news. They move on to slander every member of his family. Shunning is what Lutheran pastors fear, instead of trembling before God's Word.

The gap between reality and fantasy continues to grow. Every so often I search Lutheran blogs for something of substance. Instead I find stories like this:

John Nunes Named President of Lutheran World Relief

The name sounded familiar, so I read the story to find out more of his history. Did he previously serve any Lutheran congregations as a pastor? I find that earlier information missing. He seems to be LCMS, but lately has been earning a doctorate of sorts at Lutheran School of Theology in Chicago, aka The Devil's Playground. Kent Hunter earned a similar degree at LSTC, as well as a prestigious D.Min. from Fuller Seminary. Hunter was originally LCMS but belongs to the world now as The Church Doctor.

Please check out Dr. Hunter in his physician's garb. Physician - heal thyself. Study the Book of Concord instead of Understanding Church Growth.

Ah yes. I found a story, which summarizes various news sources. The material is from Jack Cascione but appears to be accurate anyway:

Nunes Organist and Kieschnick Convention Musician Murders Woman, Sets Fire to House.

Actual news releases are reprinted here:

Church Member Strangled

Various versions of the whole matter are here:

LCMS version and Rebuttals

Nunes' previous congregation was not named in the official LWR news release, perhaps because of unpleasant associations. As I recall, he joined the ELCA Wheatridge Foundation as a staff member soon after the scandal and will remain as a consultant for them while serving as LWR President.

Two congregations are involved. The organist knew the victim from working at her church, Grace, where Henstenberg resigned. Pastor Nunes then hired him at St. Paul's. Somehow this unusual person became the directly involved in the LCMS 2004 convention, due to his connection with Nunes, a responsibility canceled due to his arrest.

A sermon involving the alleged murderer is here:

Sermon

Another mention is here:

Offerings

Apparently the seminary is a joint Episcopal/ELCA effort.

His testimony at his trial is found below. The original news link is gone.

Testimony

Some interesting questions are asked here:

Why Was Nobody Warned?