Monday, February 11, 2008

Poor Rev. Mouse



Perhaps if Rev. Mouse took up weightlifting?


Several times a day I get anonymous posts from a WELS pastor. He has convinced himself that I have hardly ever been a "real" pastor. That explains to him how I earned a few degrees here and there. From 1970 until now I have only had one (three-year) stretch where I was not serving as a student assistant, vicar, or pastor. I don't see how that is relevant from a Wisconsin sect perspective. The Wauwatosa Gospel "creates its own forms" - like life coach at St. Mark, DePere. What if that also meant a ministry of blogging?

Yet, I do conduct Holy Communion services 26 times a year for real, live people. The rest of the time I write sermons for the many people who care to read them. Needless to say, the sermons set off Rev. Mouse fiercely. He also detests quotations from orthodox Lutherans.

WELS workers murdering spouses? Old news to him! A DP in state prison for molesting his own members? So what. A vicar in another state prison? "You already mentioned that."

I mention these things to let WELS/ELS members know that this nasty undercurrent is a significant part of the WELS ministerium. Not all of them are like Mouse, but many are. They like to stay anonymous, too.