Monday, April 28, 2008

Temple of Doom Semester - Now Finished



Running Ahead of a Boulder - No Escape


January 7th began a new course in journalism and an intense course in teaching at a new online school. The three online journalism classes will finish this week. I will take a novel-writing class this summer, in preparation for a novel in 2009.

The online training program began with two weeks of constant posting. I soon learned that the probationary teaching would begin one week early, in January. Oh joy. Next I had a constant stream of new things to do in both.

The online training program for teaching is just ending. It went well. I had students from all over the East Coast studying critical thinking. One section was on logical fallacies. I honed my skills discussing doctrinal issues with Wisconsin sect pastors. They used personal attacks, threats, changing the subject, poisoning the well, the slippery slope, and various other logical fallacies.

Most of my teaching is now online. One graduate student in education told my class that students at a Kansas state university live in the dorms and take online classes. The school has trouble getting students out of their rooms and into the classroom.

In the middle of all this training and education, one Ichabod reader said, "Why not have services broadcast over the Internet?" I knew it could be done at a very high cost, but he found a way to do it without the huge corporate fees. I have found it surprisingly enjoyable. I have looked into a glass eye before for video taping. This is different because it is live. Also, people are very pleased that we can do this.

Also, I feel free to promote the great Lutheran hymns, which are often ignored in favor of having more singable hymns, as some claim. Mr. Bose plays the organ flawlessly and I am free to choose all eight verses. Mr. Bose never frowns at five sharps and never gives me lip about the chords.

So, I am about to catch up on the promises I have been making and not keeping.