Thursday, March 19, 2009

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Rocker



I am in the second row, third from the left, as someone noted. Note the Buddy Holly look, long before the Day the Music Died.


---

Ken Schmidt has left a new comment on your post "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Rocker":

Hey, is that Garfield, NJ or some other Garfield?

***

GJ - Garfield Grade School in Moline, Illinois, about 1959 or 60. Three of us from that 6th grade cohort at Garfield went to Yale, and we all knew each other quite well.

All the schools in Moline were named after Republicans, except for Woodrow Wilson Junior High. How Wilson got in there, I will never know. I went to two junior high schools, due to a boundary change: John Deere Junior High and Coolidge Junior High. My last public school had the unimaginative name of Moline Senior High School.

We usually walked to grade school, past the Teske Hardware Store. We knew the Teske family. The long way home took us past Whitey's Ice Cream. We knew the owners too. The daughter of the county GOP chairman, Martha Getz, was in my class. Her older brother became semi-famous in Hollywood in such movies as The Fly I and II and Blood Simple - John Getz, exactly two years old than I.