Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Church Growth Produces Another Atheist:
Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered,
As Corky Wrote



Evangelicals skewer the Emerging Church. Lutheran leaders lap it up - with some exceptions.


I wrote before about WELS Church Growther Curt Peterson joining Freedom From Religion to work against all religion. A layman wrote me:

Oh yes, the Freedom From Religion folks. It has ironically occured to me that they have a pretty high understanding of and respect for the efficacy of God's Word. Don't you think? Or Satan acting through them does. That's why they are always having it removed from public places and so forth. I looked up Curtis Peterson and saw an article and pictures of them removing the 10 commandments in Milwaukee I think. So THEY know how powerful it is and how it will and does change hearts and minds. I don't think it's really about the fear of those trying to get some "establishment of a state religion" thing.

The same friend wrote about another WELS Church Shrinker, who was welcomed to Columbus as a messiah by Wally Oelhafen. The Rev. Shrinker polarized the congregation before being exposed as a false teacher. Now he is an avowed atheist who sleeps in when his family goes to church on Sunday. "He will have nothing to do with God anymore and very matter of factly proclaims his atheism."

The studious layman said this about the Church Shrinkers:

I was just talking to an old friend this weekend. Much of the day we talked of the CGM stuff in WELS and such. I can only come to this conclusion, I think that some pastors and leaders that have been taken have been beguiled. Literally beguiled. That's the most accurate description I can give what I have seen. Is that an accurate way to say it in your opinion? I can't find any other way to express what I have seen in the last 15 years or so as it has slowly taken hold. What is even more interesting is that I read an interview my a music retailing magazine with KISS founder Gene Simmons (I can't stand the guy). Simmons's comments on getting more and more (in his case money and women) and marketing and greed could have easily been modified to be a message right from Fuller or Willow Creek. Just a different product. Basically "listen to your audience and give them what they want and sell them other things that they aren't expecting." I was amazed at how hard this hit me......the correlation I mean. From this devil man comes the same thing as the CGM/new paradigm church product.