Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Was the Sarcasm Button Left On?




Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Some Elementary Ejukashun About Counting Lenten Da...":

"The Sundays are not counted as Lenten days, but they are Sundays in Lent. If it is not really Lent on Sunday, someone will have to explain why the paraments are purple."

Who needs paraments when you've got your own church body (and no, I'm not going to discuss whether or not your church "body" resembles Arnold Schwarzenegger's or not)?

cf.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/bethany-lutheran-worship

By the way, I was always taught that the 40 days in Lent bring to mind the 40 hours Christ was in the tomb. The "obvious"ness of the 40 days being in reference to the 40 days in the desert is something that was not so obvious to me. I suppose, however, that must be because I was brought up WELS, right?

Well, my WELS teachers taught me to look up references like Lent and to understand what they are and why we celebrate them. I'm sure you are familiar with Luther Reed. His take on Sundays in (not of) Lent?

In the book, "Worship," Reed explains that the oustanding feature of the season of Lent is preparation in fasting. He then describes how the Sundays in (not of) Lent are ALWAYS feast days. Now explain to me, please, how a feast day can be celebrated in the midst of a fast, unless it is not counted as part of the fast.

That is the importance of the word "in" rather than "of." The Sundays are "in" Lent, but not "of" Lent. They are at the time of, but not a part of, Lent.

The Sundays don't just have an "Easter-y quality." They are Easter.

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I am a pastor at a church and have been busy preparing joy-filled messages of Christ crucified for the Sundays in Lent.

***

GJ - I would post faster, but I teach 9 university courses and prepare services for Sundays and Wednesdays in Lent, plus adult studies.

Be sure to change your paraments to white during Lent, Anonymous.

I will add Luther Reed to the Book of Concord, right after the Brief Statement and the Kokomo Statements.

There are different explanations and varying traditions, just like the colors of the candles for the Advent wreath. I understand the Agnus Dei was added to the service for spite, because a rival leader did not like it. Still, it is a beautiful part of Holy Communion.

Here is a disclaimer for the Sundays in but of Lent:

"This is really an Easter Sunday and not a Lenten Sunday, in spite of the name on our pre-printed synod bulletins. You may turn in your Lenten offerings on Sunday even though Luther Reed says otherwise. To avoid confusion in the future we are becoming an Emerging Church with no liturgy, no hymns, and no creeds - with sermons copied from Groeschel and Stanley."

I imagine some people are not feeling the joy in your comment. It sounds more like:


  1. I was born WELS and you were not.
  2. I am part of huge--albeit shrinking and insolvent--synod. You are not.
  3. I am taking time from my horribly busy schedule to set you straight.