Wednesday, July 22, 2009

High Church or Low Church?
Soul-searching in Paris




My Fuller sweatshirt drew some comments from a WELS leader, so I decided to turn back time a few years.


Originally I wore it to WELS events so I would fit in better. Instead, I got scowls. The same sweatshirt was borrowed by various students at the sainted Northwestern College, where it again drew scowls.

I often wore it while writing articles against Church Growth.

As Doctrinal Pussycat explained so eloquently, "We are not against Church Growth, but Church Growth."

I know - it makes no sense to me either.

---

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the article by P. Calvin Kelm. I remember about 6 or 8 years ago trying to find out what was going on in WELS (because of what I was seeing) and found basically nothing on the internet except an article about Church Growth on the WELS.net site. It was written, if I recall correctly, by Kelm. He made himself look very against CGM and all of un-Lutheran trappings of it, but went on to say, "we are against Church Growth, but are we against church growth?" Note the use of capitals, something that getting a PHD in CGM helps you carefully make use of no doubt. Anyway, that was it with WELS and CGM for several years until blogs started being a forum that no one could hide from by writing clever double speak articles for WELS to disseminate.

Signed,
"we're not like most WELS churches"

July 22, 2009 7:48 PM