Walther warned the Missouri Synod against idolatry, which is why I keep a statue of Ferdy on my desk. Farsighted (in this regard), he warned them against saying "At least my district or conference is orthodox." I heard one future Doctrinal Pussycat say that, even though his neighbor was a proud Fuller grad.
Synod idolatry is the main reason for doctrinal apostasy today. No one was allowed to question any synod, because Holy Mother (fill in the blank) Synod is indefectible, incapable of error. That is worship of a graven image, a sin against the First Commandment, just as common among Lutherans today as among Roman Catholics, but more subtle.
No one would guess that "Do Not Fear, Little Flock" was once an influential hymn in the Lutheran Church. I am trying to imagine people singing that hymn at The CORE
I am not fond of synod conventions. They strike me as a bad copy of our political conventions. However, the recent WELS convention completely changed the agenda by emphasizing Lutheran doctrine (except for UOJ outbursts).
The Shrinkers have been saying for 30 years that they want the institution to grow, that this can happen:
- Only by expelling anyone who disagrees with them,
- Only by spending vast amounts of money to import Enthusiasm from Fuller, Willow Creek, Groeschel, Granger, Stetzer, Sweet, and Stanley.
- To worship God in the beauty of His holiness.
- To catechize the young and teach the adults.
- To visit the shut-ins, hospitalized, and spiritually indifferent.