Saturday, August 22, 2009

Robert Benne - A Light in the Stygian Darkness of ELCA: Accidental Candidate for VP

"MINNEAPOLIS (ELCA) -- Voting members at the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Churchwide Assembly narrowed the field to three candidates in its balloting for vice president. Voting a third ballot Aug. 21, voting members chose from a remaining field of eight candidates, selecting incumbent Carlos Peña, Galveston, Texas, Ryan M. Schwarz, McLean, Virginia, and Norma Hirsch, Des Moines, Iowa."


Robert Benne is one of the lone voices for traditional Lutheranism in ELCA.


ALPB

Robert Benne: Romans 12.2: “Do not be conformed to this world . . .” This is important to me as a professor, a Lutheran teacher and scholar. This verse assumes that faith involves mind as well as heart. Interaction between Christian faith and society has always fascinated me. I’ve dealt with religion and economics, politics, culture, film. Q2: My challenge would be to be fit to the job. I’m here by mistake; I forgot to remove my name. I’m too old, and I don’t want the job. But if elected, I and other top leadership would be forced to model the bound conscience because I disagree deeply with the directions of the ELCA. My winning would probably shorten my life, and those of the bishop and secretary, and it would not be a good idea to vote for me. Q3: One of my profound disagreements with ELCA is how we understand ourselves as public church; better to change from direct to indirect approach, so that we be not so invested in social statements, advocacy offices, etc. My approach would be more income, using the ministry of the laity in their public callings. Those laity need to be formed in their Christian moral conscience. Laity are on front lines, they should the ones who are the public arm of the church. One well-formed senator is worth ten thousand social statements.