Friday, October 2, 2009

Blogger on the Word


Psalm 91
Thinking Back
When your boy grows up and joins the military, you can not help but entertain a reverie of memories. In one letter from home, I told my son that I remember when he was a newborn baby, upset and crying, and I rocked him to sleep in the old rocking chair my grandmother gave me. She told me that my father had rocked me in that rocker when I was a baby. And that my grandfather rocked my father as a baby in it too. And that my great grandfather rocked my grandfather as a baby in the same rocker.

Here is what I remember clearly (and told my son): When I rocked him as a little baby in that rocker I spoke the words of Psalm 91 to him (I memorized the whole Psalm when I was in my early 20s). I patted his back, and rocked, and thanked God for this precious firstborn child, and I spoke Psalm 91 to him...and he would calm down and listen. On several occasions I did this. I told him as a baby that it was his life verse. And I told him as a 21-year-old Army recruit that it was his life verse.

I sent him a copy of Psalm 91 and I told him that the part I liked best is in the end, when God speaks:

“Because he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him;
I will set him securely on high,
because he has known My name.
He will call upon Me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will rescue him and honor him.
With a long life I will satisfy him
And let him see My salvation.”

***

GJ - I do not know this man's confession of faith, but I have found many who believe in the efficacy of the Word with infants, something clearly taught throughout the Scriptures. I recall a Baptist writing in Christianity Today that dedicating a baby (Holy Baptism without water) stays with the child for life. As a result, most anti-pedobaptists (Pentecostals, Baptists, and Babtists) have infant dedication services. Oral Roberts did one on TV, but warned that he did not believe in infant baptism or baptismal regeneration. Tis funny that false teachers proclaim their opposition to the clearest Biblical doctrines.