Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Two Comments

And lo, they raideth the Egyptian garbage and hauleth it away.
And it came to pass, the Egyptians stayeth home and cebrateth forthwith.

erickel (http://erickel.myopenid.com/) has left a new comment on your post "Union of Pietist Sects":

WELS embarrasses me over and over again as a member, and they want me to do mission work for THEM.

---

Michael Schottey has left a new comment on your post "Not A Duck - A Soaring Eagle - The GIA Eagle":

Bored,

My "Dr. Goebbels-style" education taught me that generalizations often speak volumes more about the subject rather than the object.

You're right, you don't know me, so I kindly ask you to keep your faulty opinions to yourself.

You, and John have (twice now) fantastically missed the point of what I said and why I said it.

It isn't about "massaging the message" it's about using the FULL body of evidence to nail the butts of schwaermer to the wall instead of half.

It isn't about softening the blow...it is about giving no recourse of thought or action--so no one can point and call this a half-truth.

We're all in agreement that the disclaimer does not exculpate anyone, rather it makes the case that much more forceful--that a pastor would willfully lead his flock into a wolf's lair untended.

How in the world is that "massaging the message?"

In your haste to point out my need for "reprogramming" you didn't realize that putting the disclaimer on there (and commenting on it) only increases the validity of the point.

***

GJ - Michael is paying a price for signing his name, unfair in this day of anonymous blogging.

I understand his point. I used his response to point out the typical WELS answer to anything, which is, "You did it wrong so you are the sinner and he is the victim."

Michael has been on the side of traditional Means of Grace worship all along, and he has identified with the Intrepids by signing his name there. I know many WELS/ELS pastors who are too timid to sign their names, even though they have groaned about CG Enthusiasm for decades. Yes decades.

Michael and I spar on Facebook about politics, but he does not un-friend me, which is more than I can say for others. We need more younger Lutherans like Michael. I just hope he forgets to vote.


---
Scott E. Jungen has left a new comment on your post "Two Comments":

I second that comment. We do need more young Lutherans like Michael. What a blessing he would have been to a congregation of Confessional Lutherans. I totally understand why he chose not to attend WLS. Another black mark on the WELS that they drove away this fine young man from the ministry.


No, I don't know Michael personally either, but I think I'd like to!
Scott E. Jungen