Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The WELS SORE Is Becoming the BORE



Portable altar.






Yeast Blog



electronicoptimist said...
Riddle me this Danny Boy: How does one fully listen to the message delivered by your 'prince of darkness (Ski)' while at the same time taking a head count, observing the cross, checking out the band (you were playing the role of 'Carny' the age-guesser after all), and noting the 'wall top wall flat screen tv's?

Seems to me that your 'observing with purpose' is merely a PC way of stating that you were on a religious witch hunt.

I get it though. Use a purchased set of artwork to go along with your series on Elijah and you are a plaigarist. Use contemporary stuff.. you aren't adhering to the old ways. Dress casually.. you aren't being respectful.

I encourage you to attend again.. this time listen to the message (focus) instead of playing insurance adjuster (estimating costs of the interior) or carny (I'll let you guess my weight afterward if that will make you feel better - I look like I could be Ski's brother so introduce yourself).

Daniel Baker said...

Do you have a problem reading, electronicoptimist?

I arrived at the event early to insure that I had time to fully observe everything. I listened intently to the sermon so I could provide an accurate representation of the content. I re-listened to the sermon on the internet to insure I didn't miss anything or misinterpret it. I even listened to some other sermons to make sure I didn't catch "Ski" on a bad day.

You need to take a step back and reassess the situation. This is not about being stuck in the old ways - unless, of course, you consider the message of Christ's gospel the "old ways," in which case that's the only Way I care to be in.

WELS church lady said...

In response to electronicoptimist:
That so-called "men's conference" was part of WELS Church And Change. This is an apostate organization and is frowned upon by SP
Schroeder and the other confessional leadership. The C&C invites New Age teachers and is all about the Emergent church. They care more about Leadership Network than they do about Confessional Lutheranism.

In Christ,
Rebecca Quam

Anonymous said...

Wow, the optimist must have a very low view of his pastors at Bethany. They "couldn't draw new members if they were handing out an autographed shroud of Turin." Youch. Plus he gives them a big "yawn." I kind of like Bethany's pastors, whenever they come to my church to preach.

It's just too bad that the theater-"church" he goes to now uses anything and everything to get people in the door, but then offers no gospel once they get there. After all, the law and gospel tend to turn unbelievers away, so we couldn't use that. And it's really too bad that he finds Lutheran worship a big "yawn"er. But then, the law and gospel are boring to the sinful nature, aren't they?

But of course, everything gets boring to people after a while, including amateur rock bands, shiny screens, and popcorn. Which probably explains why attendance at the CORE keeps dropping. I know, cause I drop in once in a while. Used to be you couldn't find a seat, or a parking spot. Now both are ample. Slowly but surely. The people who go there receive no gospel to attach them to the place. So when the newness of the methods wears off, they just stop coming.

Are people leaving other area WELS churches? Sure. That happens when law and gospel are preached faithfully. A lot of people turn away. But some come, and some stay. I believe most WELs churches (yawn) in the area are actually being blessed by outward growth, despite the CORE's obvious attempts at sheep stealing, except St. Matthew, which is just a wannabe CORE. (I agree with Daniel that most of the people at the CORE are already WELS members. And anyone with half a brain knows that's why the CORE really opened. If it wasn't, why would they have opened in a city that has like 20 WELS churches? Why not open it in a town with NO WELS churches, if you're not intending to take members from other WELS churches?) I know Riverview (yawn...boring law and gospel) is growing, so is Eternal Love, so is Mt. Olive, so is (yawn) Bethany. Even St. Paul's is turning around, even though St. Peter's declared it dead by opening the CORE right next door. Maybe the pastors in all those other churches aren't as inept as you think. I know mine aren't at Riverview. I know yours weren't at Bethany. I don't fall asleep during sermons that are full of law and gospel. If I did, I would be guilty of finding God and his Word boring.

You see, when the people stay in those churches, they actually have something lasting to hold on to, instead of just methods that always change, and eventually bore...no matter what they are. And when they go, those churches can still fall asleep at night, wake up in the morning, and keep proclaiming law and gospel... knowing they didn't sell out to false teachers and methods.