Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Bored in a WELS Sunday Service



bored has left a new comment on your post "Martin Luther College":

I went to a WELS church this past Sunday:

The message: "Be Ark builders". But the pastor said that (paraphrase) faith is the ark that carries us the through the troubled waters of this sinful world.

??? (sigh)

But my real purpose for commenting is bring attention to the WELS worship supplement. The service I went to used the supplement exclusively. Lemme tell you, it is rotten.

I didn't nick a copy from the church, otherwise I could offer some examples. If someone could print the words to hymn # 703 I'd appreciate it. #703 was pretty gnostic. Then of course we also sang the Holst (astrology) version of Jerusalem the Golden.

Several others had terrible theology too, but I didn't want to disturb the service by tearing out pages and burning them.

One question: Why is the Kyrie before the Absolution in WELS liturgy? Isn't it traditionally after the absolution?

***

GJ - I told 29a that the synods have ruined Lutheran worship with all their money-making new hymnals, each one worse than the previous one. The synods have made it easier to go to  movie screen services and Entertainment Evangelism. Perhaps they wanted to accomplish that all along.

I understand the Kyrie is misplaced because the Pietists did that. So you may ask, "Why follow the Pietists?" I think Tiefel did that and many other barbarous things as a message to traditionalists. I suggested to Tiefel a modest revision of page 5 and 15, as an alternative for those he was going to leave behind with his ELCA-lite hymnal. He looked at me like was I blob on the windshield of his Mercedes.

Tiefel's erratic driving may be a result of the guilt he feels for the damage he has done. That is putting the best construction on it.