Sunday, April 3, 2011

Ignoring the Central Doctrine


Brett Meyer has left a new comment on your post "There Is Only One Road":

Scott states, "I do believe both sides are fighting."

My personal opinion is that unless they are fighting to defend and promote Justification by Faith Alone they are simply beating the air. They oppose the flamboyant New Age Emergents in their midst but ignore their handlers and enablers. When they both trust, confess and defend the false gospel of Universal Objective Justification both sides stand condemned by Christ and likewise the Lutheran Confessions.

The Intrepids have not identified this core problem with their denomination and, on a larger scale, Lutheranism as a whole.

Here is a quote from an Intrepid that was sent via personal email to me: "3.) While I agree that UOJ is alive in well in WELS, I've got to tell you the honest to heaven truth - most of the guys spouting this stuff don't even know what they're talking about, and would NOT know the difference between UOJ and the real, confessional, orthodox teaching if you put a gun to their feeble little heads and were going to blow their brains out! Sad, but true. Why do I know this? Real simple, my friend - and I'm not proud to say this, but neither am I bashful - because for years and years such was true of ME! (And sometimes still is!) The old "opinio legis" is, after all, alive and well, in WELS Pastors as much as anyone else.

So - bottom line - if you want to continue to beat this tired, old, dead, rotting horse, have at it. Maybe we need a few good, stout, fellows like you around all the time, just to remind us of the nasty little secret that lies within us.

But, maybe, just maybe, you might want to turn your vinegar hose on - oh say - the lack of confessional study, or the dearth of doctrinal discipline, or the women ministers, or the puny sacramental theology, etc., etc., etc., in the WELS instead.

Truly, and I really mean this, I for one am happy to have you around on commenting on Intrepid. I don't mind it at all. I just thought perhaps I'd give you some food for thought. If you consider it Cheeze-Whiz, so be it. If you think it some fine filet, that's good. Whatever.

Don't wear yourself out, ol' boy, on UOJ. There's just not much of a battle there, whether there should be or not.


The Lutheran Synods perversion of the Gospel of Christ, Justification by Faith in Christ Alone, is seen by the only openly contending Lutheran group as being a tired, old, dead and rotting horse and not worth fighting over.

A sign of the times.