Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bored Asks:
What Is the Point If The Powers That Be Refuse To Have Substantive Conversation?



bored has left a new comment on your post "Polite Company: Why Topics Are Banned or Endorsed ...":

Right on the money sir,

--and this is the problem that I and many of my layman cohorts encounter. Our efforts are frustrated and we ask ourselves, what use is honing our blades, what use is study, if The Powers That Be refuse to have substantive conversation?

I had a nice group of friends from the four corners of the WELS studying and talking about UOJ, and time after time, when we each tried to bring our pastors into conversation about UOJ, (and providing them with applicable reading material to aid them in their vocation) would they present argument supporting UOJ? Would they tell us we were wrong?

No. These gutless Pastors stopped returning emails and phone calls before the conversation even got started. The result? All of those friends left the WELS, myself included. Many no longer attend church at all, believing that the Word alone will have to do.

I can't say I blame them. Divine Worship may be a blessing, but if a church is wrong about The central doctrine of Christianity, what's the use? I'm not at that point with my LCMS pastor and church yet, but I'm close. What is the use, especially when you go to church and see the entire younger female population there wearing clothing that, 30 years ago, would've been considered immodest dress for hookers? I'm a man. I'm wired a certain way. I'd hate to be a pastor trying to serve the Sacrament to that bunch kneeling at the altar. What must go through one's mind? Terrible. And what's the use when your particular community of believers interprets "Christian Liberty" as engaging in pop culture to its fullest extent? What's the use when I know full well that I can't rely on anyone to hold me accountable for my sins, and will be ostracized for holding anyone else accountable?

I'm sorry to blurt out such depressing views, but the current trends in the conservative synods will not change until 51% of the remaining members pull their heads out of their...sandboxes and start studying. But what I find more likely is that all the studiers will one by one leave for elsewhere. We need a place for them to leave to.

***

GJ - Ask Ezekiel 34 says, the shepherds have fed themselves and scattered the sheep. It is all being taken away from them.