Thursday, March 15, 2012

Norman Teigen's Request



Norman Teigen has left a new comment on your post "Gerhardt's Evening Hymn - Now Rest Beneath Night's...":

The tune 'O Welt, ich muss dich lassen' is used many times in Lutheran hymn books. Since you have the resources and the inclination, may I ask you to provide a list of other hymns using this tune. Many thanks.

***

GJ - I told Mrs. Ichabod about your request. I said, "I owe Norman. He began embedding videos before I knew how. If that retired teacher could do it, so could I." Beside that, I have enjoyed your taste in music.

The tune for "Now Rest Beneath Night's Shadows"  is O Welt, ich muss dich lassen.

The same tune is used for TLH #126 - "Arise and Shine in Spendor," by Martin Opitz.

It can also be used for #171 - "Upon the Cross Extended," another Gerhardt hymn.

Here is information on the tune.

The original song is embedded below.


Wikipedia on the tune.

The LCA/ALC used the tune for O Bread of Life from Heaven. Cyberhymnal has slightly different wording.

This is a British set of words, probably unfamiliar to most of us.