Thursday, April 5, 2012

Various Thank-yous for the Hymn Graphics



churchmousec (http://churchmousec.wordpress.com/) has left a new comment on your post "O Sacred Head Now Wounded. The Lutheran Hymnal, #1...":

Thank you so much, Dr Jackson!

This is my all-time favourite Holy Week hymn. I asked my grandmother why she wasn't singing and she said that she didn't know the hymn.

Another (un)intentional Vatican II advance. Now I understand why she and her friends did not sing along.

Some readers might recall that I and others sang 'A Mighty Fortress is our God' at my First Holy Communion in the mid-1960s.

You came forward with some mighty good hymns. ;) Thank you.

Churchmouse

***

GJ - You are welcome, ChurchMouse. I enjoy creating them. I get various thanks by email and on Facebook. My goal is to promote the best hymns and help people become more familiar with individual writers, such as Kingo, Speratus, and Gerhardt.

I will fashion more of them and group them by season and topic from time to time. I am posting them as graphics on two pages on Facebook, so views can easily copy them from there -

Ichabod on Facebook,

Martin Chemnitz Press on Facebook.

One challenge is to get as many verses as possible in the graphic, keeping them readable. I post all the verses below, plus the additional information about the hymn. If I have a good YouTube version of the hymn, I include that embedded. The two best sources are LutheranWarbler and the King's College Choir.

Looking for good versions was another reminder of how the denominations have failed to provide much in the way of foundational worship materials.