Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Feeling Like Gibbon at the Moment.
Rough Publication of Bente's Historical Introductions

Charles was a great general but he hated Lutherans.
The Muslims threatened Vienna after the Augsburg Confession, 1530,
which gave the Lutherans time to get established while Charles was fighting the Ottoman Empire.

I actually tried to post all of Bente in one post. And it did paste into one post. But that was it. Blogger refused to publish a 500 page book in one undigested lump.

I had to break it down into about 25 parts to publish it, starting from the end.

The graphics are a chance to add color and educational tips to a great historical work. The parts will be more clearly defined so people can go to one small section and study it. Clearly the Lutheran clergy lack an understanding and appreciation for the Book of Concord. Proof comes from the abysmal leadership of all the synods, the dismal doctrinal knowledge of the seminary faculties.

I fixed the table of contents this morning and added one graphic for each section - an education for me and for the readers. Someone with a printed copy of Bente should be able to find the same section on the blog without much trouble. I also linked the entire file for those who know how to use "control-f" to search a term. For instance - how many times does Bente use Means of Grace or efficacious? One can find efficacy or efficacious by using control-f and "effic".

Means of Grace is trickier because an author may use other words, such as Instruments for Means, Promises for Gospel. Nevertheless, terminology is an indication.

The Missouri Synod would like to forget Bente and his work. Concordia Publishing House and NPH would rather sell new, watered-down books.

---

Pastor emeritus Nathan Bickel has left a new comment on your post "Feeling Like Gibbon at the Moment.Rough Publicatio...":

Ichabod,

Thanks for your explanation!

You stated:

"I actually tried to post all of Bente in one post. And it did paste into one post. But that was it. Blogger refused to publish a 500 page book in one undigested lump.

I had to break it down into about 25 parts to publish it, starting from the end......." [Your words]

Although you are light years ahead of me in the busy involved world of cyberspace, website management and expertise, etc. - I believe, I can somewhat appreciate the online contortions which you have to go through, to post and present a magnitude of suitable and valuable content for a worldwide web audience.

Keep up the great work! I continually love your pics and sense of humor. One reason that (I think) I most likely do, is that I'm not on the UOJ bashing end of the computer screen. Thank God, - as, I can then lay my head down to rest at night, thanking the good Lord, that I’m not like all those sinners, out there! LOL! Having stated the factious last sentence, I still think that the grace of God is expansive enough to forgive those who ignore and / or, don't understand, the importance (and balance emphasis) of faith and the Holy Spirit's working of that faith in priceless souls, as Luther trumpeted in his writings, especially in his timeless explanation of the 3rd Article of the Apostle's Creed.

Nathan M. Bickel - emeritus pastor

www.thechristianmessage.org

www.moralmatters.org 

***

GJ -

http://www.ourdecline.com/gibbon.htm

From OurDecline.com:

In a famous passage of his autobiography, he commemorates his deliverance from his labours:

"It was on the night of the 27th of June 1787, between the hours of eleven and twelve, that I wrote the last line of the last page in a summer-house in my garden. After laying down my pen, I took several turns in a berceau, or covered walk of acacias . I will not dissemble the first emotions of joy on the recovery of my freedom, and, perhaps the establishment of my fame. But my pride was soon humbled, and a sober melancholy was spread over my mind by the idea that I had taken an everlasting leave of an old and agreeable companion, and that whatsoever might be the future fate of my history, the life of the historian must be short and precarious."

I enjoy publishing these Lutheran works but also feel a little let-down when one is done. That may explain why I keep posting more.

A Moline classmate just wrote - "Thanks for sending this over. I enjoy the study material and thirst for more!"

I wonder how many Lutheran pastors would write the same about getting Bente online.