Thursday, September 13, 2012

Now when I have thus apprehended Christ by faith, and through Him am dead to the law, justified from sin....



By this we may plainly see that there is nothing here for us to do, only it belongeth unto us, to hear that these things have been wrought and done in this sort, and by faith to apprehend the same. Now when I have thus apprehended Christ by faith, and through Him am dead to the law, justified from sin, delivered from death, the devil and hell, then I do good works, I love God, I give thanks to Him, I exercise charity towards my neighbours. But this charity or works following, do neither form nor adorn my faith, but my faith formeth and adorneth charity. This is our divinity, which seemeth strange and marvellous, rather, foolish to carnal reason: to wit, that I am not only blind and deaf to the law, yea, delivered and freed from the law, but also wholly dead unto the same.

Martin Luther, Kregel, Galatians 2:19, p. 86.