Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Shattered Pulpit Blog - Ski's Victim Speaks Out.
These Are Locked-Out-of-the-Building Firing Offenses

Tim Glende got his drinking buddy Ski on the church payroll,
and  both of them posed with Kathy Perry,
chanteuse of obscene songs and videos.
They featured these photos on Facebook for months.


Monday, September 22, 2014


Jane's Story: WELS Sexual Harassment

Written by "Jane"

When I accepted the Executive Assistant position at a contemporary WELS church, there were many things I expected, but sexual harassment was not one of them. In addition to the harassment, I witnessed my supervisor and "spiritual leader" demean other women (including members of the church), drink on the job, plagiarize sermons and act in the very manner you would not expect from a "called servant of The Lord".

I almost immediately observed the pastor's casualness, lack of boundaries, and what I perceived as downright laziness at times. His standards and expectations for my position as the assistant seemed to exceed his own standards as the pastor. 


Shortly after starting my position, I received a text message sometime after midnight from my supervisor telling me I should have sex with my husband. We never requested counseling or advice in this realm so his inappropriateness was rather strange at best to us. We strived to take words and actions in the best possible way. I was subjected to many routine "lapses in judgement" by my spiritual leader. Including an incident of him showing me a video that depicted nude male genitals while alone in his office. Is there ever a correct context for a supervisor to show anything like this to his married employee? (I will discuss this more at another time).

As he pushed the boundaries and inappropriateness, my conscience began to nag at me. Through even the darkest days, I allowed myself to believe that these behaviors were normal. Yet I began to feel torn between my loyalty to the church and the moral issues at hand.

I spent many nights awake and hovered over my bible in tears. There was something very wrong about what was going on at that church. I've seen it all first hand and, yet, felt obligated to keep it all a secret. It was the kind of secret that absolutely tormented me, but I thought I was doing the right thing at the time (just another lie we are led to believe as victims).

After months of utter frustration the hostile work environment began to take a toll on me and my husband. I prayerfully considered if perhaps this was an unhealthy situation for me to be in. So I gave my notice and was told to tell members of the congregation that I "wasn't a good fit" when I left my position. It was unbearable to work with a man that continued to ignore, scream, belittle, degrade and humiliate me. I left this job feeling worthless and far less confident than when I started (which was previously at a Fortune 100 company).

I suffered in silence while working at that church. I fell into a deep darkness from all that I experienced and witnessed there and its leadership. Shortly after I left the position my depression began to spiral. We maintained membership at this "relevant" church because of the relationships that we had formed with other Christians and did not want to neglect our spiritual life. The final straw was when an assault rifle was used as a sermon prop.

We decided it was best to seek the counsel of a trusted pastor since the leadership at this church either outright condoned or failed to supervise its employees and their behavior. We were convicted to resolve all this in a Christ centered way. Our hope was to see positive changes and healing for all. 



How many times does a synod president attend a
congregational meeting to cut a deal with the district president?
Mark Schroeder did, and Ski got another call.


My husband and I have continued to fight an endless battle for justice in the synod and to see that this doesn't happen to someone else. We've patiently been in contact with top synod leaders. We've encountered roadblocks, never ending circles and have witnessed inconsistencies throughout the disciplinary processes within the synod. By the Grace of God, we've encountered wonderful brothers and sisters in Christ to share in our burden. Unfortunately, we've also encountered timid leaders and those hesitant to publicly speak for the truth. People seem to selectively choose which commandments and passages to throw at you while ignoring others.

The journey has been incredibly lonely and frustrating since we were asked to remain silent and be patient. We are exhausted and completely astonished that after everything was brought into the light this man continues to be a pastor and counsel members. We will continue to persevere with others until positive changes are made in this synod so that all victims of abuse are protected rather than the perpetrators.

Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, (‭Romans‬ ‭5‬:‭3‬ ESV)

***


Write a letter - certified with signature required and mailed back.

Mark Schroeder
President
Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
N16W23377 Stone Ridge Dr., Waukesha, WI 53188
414.256.3202 (Office)

---

http://vdma.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/why-i-no-longer-attend-my-church/
It is with sadness that I no longer attend my church (St. Peter; Freedom, WI) where I was baptized and am still a member.  Even though I am not a watchman (Ezekiel 33), the public act of no longer attending the church where I was baptized and am a member demands an explanation.
I have doctrinal disagreements with my pastors, my Church Council, and the District Presidium.  For the most part, I have kept these doctrinal disagreements private.  However, whether or not the Church openly discusses God’s Word is a theological matter.  (Isaiah 8:20; 9:2, 6-7).  The Word is communication, and God expects His people, His Church, to wrestle with His Word.  (2 Corinthians 13:5).  The Word is how God communicates light and truth into us, and we struggle with His Word only by reading and openly discussing the word.
The Word is communication, and it is through the Word that the Holy Spirit works to enlighten, sanctify, and keep the whole Christian Church on earth in the one true faith.  (Small Catechism, Explanation of the Third Article).  Therefore, we must communicate doctrine, and we must struggle with the Word openly.  Further, if there is pain and loss in that struggle, then that pain should be understood as a necessary step on the way of the cross.  (Matthew 10:34-39).
However, when the local church and District Presidium use endless procedures to stifle disagreement and discussion of the word, they are not struggling with the Word, but instead they are engaging in an earthly political struggle.  Temporal earthly kingdoms are built through political struggle.  On the other hand, citizens of the eternal kingdom of heaven must struggle with the word which involves open communication and sometimes the sadness of a cross.
The true Scriptural procedure for dealing with public doctrinal error and disagreement is to discuss the matters.  However, the Northern Wisconsin District Presidium has steadfastly refused to have a meeting where everyone sits down to discuss doctrine.  Instead, they have been completely hung-up on a never-ending series of frivolous procedures that no one can fulfill.  (For example, one is not allowed to invite the District President to a meeting without first asking the permission of the District President).
I am not the only man who disagrees on matters of doctrine and practice with my pastors and the District Presidium.  Other WELS pastors have also expressed disagreement.  Thus, there needs to be discussion of God’s Word.  That is the true Scriptural procedure.  Only God’s Word can make alive and heal.
I have written two letters dated November 1, 2009 and January 20, 2011 that detail some of the doctrinal problems I have seen at my congregation, St. Peter.  And it is in the spirit of the word (which is communication) and the theology of the cross (which is pain and struggle) that I share these two letters.  I had hoped that the second letter would have been unnecessary, and that neither letter would need to be shared.  Sadly, there is no other way.  (2 Timothy 4:2-3).
We all must lift our cross, and follow Christ.  (Matthew 10:38 & Mark 8:34-38).  May the Lord’s will be done.  (Matthew 26:39).
Postscript:  Since the second letter was sent, it has been reported that District President Engelbrecht is “very willing” to arrange a meeting between my pastors and the other concerned area WELS pastors.  Nonetheless, because District President Engelbrecht has handled these matters incompetently at best, he would best serve the Church by resigning.

***
GJ - Glende drove almost everyone out of his newly invented Star of Bethlehem (with a coffee bar). The congregation closed and WELS foreclosed the property. Why? He is a bully who has to have his way.
Glende was Ski's enabler, and Engelbrecht/Zank enabled them both.