Sunday, July 10, 2016

Heat, Water, and Rain: Fast-Blooming Roses

We have both colors of Calladiums under the maple tree.

The problem with summer weather is the rapid blooming of the roses. The calladiums are just out of the ground now, several months after being planted. But roses are blooming and trying to form seed right away.

KnockOut roses grow and bloom with the greatest speed, so I have to prune them almost as rapidly. We had a heavy rainfall, so most of my work yesterday was cutting the fading roses off all the bushes. I have a lot of children to tend now.

Falling in Love roses have a white reverse side,
so they glow in the sunlight.


The most fun yesterday was cutting all the best Falling in Love roses. We have an entire row of them, and they seem a bit slow to develop their blooms. Our helper called them "the nastiest roses" because of their thorn-encrusted canes. I told him, "That is the toughest rose of all to handle, a lesson for us all." He laughed at that. The rose is pink and white, giving it a glowing look in the sunshine.

I leave KnockOut roses on the bush a little longer, for color, but I will soon cut each bush by 50% and let them start over. That gives them a boost for growth and a chance to have all new blooms at the same time.

I do not like wearing gloves when gardening, so I wear the scars of rosarians - scratches and bleeding cuts, tiny thorns embedded in my fingers.

Sassy reminded me of my duty to take her out on a morning walk, humid enough for mildew to form on us as we went out.

The birds and squirrels were waiting for breakfast after the walk, so I filled two feeders for them. The area around the feeders has become a jungle of field corn, sunflowers, and Butterfly Bush. I felt like Indiana Jones trying to reach the feeders, and I was coated with dew once I pushed my way through.

We now get plenty of traffic from the chickadees, Mr. and Mrs. Cardinal. Just yesterday I watched as Mrs. Cardinal ate one sunflower seed after another. Extremely shy, the cardinals stop by every day now, and our extra food makes their household healthier and more prosperous.

John Paul II continues to be a productive rose bush,
but fades quickly in a vase.