Thursday, June 14, 2018

Pruning Roses, Weeds, and My Finger

I got my Hidden Lily roots for a song, after the season last year. Now they are coming up in bloom.

Everything is growing in abundance: flowers and grass and weeds. Today, I enjoyed the chance to work on individual plants, pruning away the grassy weeds and dead wood, building up the mulch.

 Joe Pye is hardy, colorful, and the ultimate butterfly plant.

 Cat Mint


The rose collars make it simple to weed-eat some areas, then throw down newspapers and wood mulch. Joe Pye and Shasta Daisies are so vigorous, they almost make their own mulch by growing fast and dominating the space. Roses and hostas need the grassy weeds suppressed close to the plant, especially since squirrels love to plant nut trees with each rose.

I pruned into my left index finger, which did not hurt at all, but started to fertilize the rose plant. Finding a bandage inside elicited suggestions about being more careful.

 I am olde school - I grow my Hummingbird feeders:
Trumpet Vine and Hostas.

The big bloomers of the week are:

  • Hidden Lily Wild Ginger
  • The Mother of All Crepe Myrtles
  • Bergamot
  • Trumpet Vines, front and back yards (Hummingbird delight)
  • Easy Does It roses
  • Pokeweed
  • Butterfly Weed (front and back)
  • Elderberries and Blackberries

 Horse Mint is best marketed as Bee Balm,
and it is great for bees and Hummingbirds.

One can easily determine the popular plants by the ones already sold out at The Growers Exchange:


  1. Common Milkweed
  2. Bee Balm (Bergamot, above)
  3. Borage (Bee Bread)
  4. Cat Mint
  5. Garlic Chives
  6. Fox Glove
  7. Fever Few
  8. Mountain Mint
  9. Mullein - a roadside weed in Michigan
  10. Tansy
  11. Valerian
 Mountain Mint