Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Rainwater, Vines, and Roses

 Trumpet Vines are the model for hummingbird feeders.

The first vines I ordered were Trumpet Vines, also called Cow Itch, a nickname never mentioned in the catalogs. They are known for their showy flowers which appeal to hummingbirds. Mine arrived separated from the pots, dry soil scattered in the box. I could ask for a refund, but I soaked them in rainwater instead.

All three vine starts filled out and sprouted at the roots, so I planted them. The first flower was so large and showy that it looked like a plastic one from the clearance aisle at Hobby Lobby.

The remaining vines did well and should be quite productive this year.

 If someone plants Honeysuckle vines, be sure to say, "Be careful, they can take over the yard." That seems to be a requirement, a rite of passage, a secret code phrase, the wisdom of the ages. My first honeysuckle got absorbed by the weeds the birds planted around it.

The two newest vines are a version of Honeysuckle. They were packed like heirloom china and arrived in great shape. However, I gave them an all day soak in rainwater, with sun shining on the tiny leaves. Digging them into rain-softened soil was no problem. I marked their places so they would not be trodden or weed-whacked. Each one will use a bush to climb, one in the backyard, another near the mailbox.

The roses came in good weather, so I plunked them into the rainbarrel. I fashioned a kiddie pool umbrella over them so they would not be submerged. If they had been arrived dry, I would have been an immersionist, if only for a few hours. The roots took up the rainwater overnight and the roses went into the soil just before a series of long, soaking rain.

With a little foresight, Creation will do the work a gardener cannot.

The new roses sprouted leaves, which start out red and green up in the sun. If all goes well, I will place 1/2 bag of peat compost (Stinky Peat) on the base of each rose bush. That is close to the advice a British gardener suggested - but he used his own compost.

 No creature is too abased to have its day in serving Creation, glorifying the Creator.