Thursday, December 24, 2020

Merry Christmas - Diverse Cul-de-Sac


The doorbell rang at an odd time. Ranger Bob scratches on the door, driving Sassy crazy with anticipation. She stays six feet back and barks loudly - her happy bark. The Military Gardening Group brought over five boxes of cookies. We must look starving.

This was different, so I went to the door. But first, some background.

Every Mother's Day, I deliver a rose or roses to each house on the cul-de-sac. One mother, with four children, got four on one stem and photographed them for Facebook. 

One mother was leaving for work when she stopped and rolled down the window. She said, "I saw you. That was your rose." She was smiling.

I was thinking about a daffodil day in spring, because so many should be popping up.

So I opened the door. There was the Mexican mother with a wrapped package. It was a Mexican vase she bought there, with deluxe chocolates inside. I was trying to get Feliz Navidad out of my mouth when she said, "Merry Christmas" with broad smile. She was the one who caught me walking away from her house.

Our block includes Osage Indian, Mexican, Laotian, and Caucasian families.


Who says roses only last a few days?