Monday, August 13, 2012

Are the Lutheran Leaders in This Hymn?



Many synodical types are more interested in power and privilege than in sound doctrine. I wonder if they imagine themselves in verse three of this hymn, because they are certainly not in verse 2 -

2. Yea, Lord, 'twas Thy rich bounty gave
My body, soul, and all I have
In this poor life of labor.
Lord, grant that I in every place
May glorify Thy lavish grace
And serve and help my neighbor.
Let no false doctrine me beguile
And Satan not my soul defile.
Give strength and patience unto me
To bear my cross and follow Thee.
Lord Jesus Christ,
My God and Lord, my God and Lord,
In death Thy comfort still afford.

Do they glorify God's lavish grace through the Means of Grace? Not at all. They glorify themselves and their glorious synod, even if all their putative members are fewer than one fair-sized town.

Do they serve and help their neighbors? No, they treat their clergy with unspeakable cruelty, bragging about it. The poorest victims are those abused by their clergy pals, whom they protect. The Lutheran leaders remind me of the Jack Hyles family and cult in Hammond, Indiana. Hyles' daughter said her job was "to keep the secrets," since daddy kept in mistress almost next door, living with her husband.



Are they beguiled by false doctrine? Definitely. When they are not promoting Fuller Seminary and its robotic clones (Hybels, Warren, Olson, Valleskey, Bivens), they are sowing the weed seeds of UOJ and persecuting justification by faith.

Bear the cross? The synodical officials are the cross that faithful congregations and pastors must bear. I said 20 years ago that WELS was already liberal. SP Naumann's son was shocked. "Why do you say that?" I said, "Simple. The liberals are rewarded and the conservatives are punished." He left the room. If I had known more, I would have pointed out that his own father opened the gates to Church Growth when he endorsed it in the very first issue of TELL.



---

Pastor emeritus Nathan Bickel has left a new comment on your post "Are the Lutheran Leaders in This Hymn?":

Ichabod -

Please, Do Keep On Telling!

When I read this latest posting of yours; I was reminded of the following Luke 12 Scripture. Considering the content of the previous chapter, (11) Jesus was well aware that He was speaking to a mixed [believing / unbelieving; humble / hypocritical] audience when He turned to speak to His disciples:

Luke 12:1-5:

Luke 12:1 - In the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable multitude of people, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.

Luke 12:2 - For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known.

Luke 12:3 - Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops.

Luke 12:4 - And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.

Luke 12:5 - But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Ichabod - Please, Do Keep On Telling!

Nathan M. Bickel - pastor emeritus

www.thechristianmessage.org

www.moralmatters.org