Monday, August 31, 2020

Even the Weeds Are Parched - No Rain Yet.
Is That Thunder or My Stomach Rumbling?

California Dreamin' Rose

Our weather reports seem to be what we want and need, but not what we get. I see days filled in with rain symbols, but nothing so far. "Midnight will be our storm," I told Mrs. Ichabod.

"Nothing happened," as ELDONA and WELS like to say.

Poke Weed plants have drooped so badly, they look like they have been sprayed. I kept our pet Poke going with mulch and extra rainwater. It branches out gracefully with berries for the birds. Apart from the very late Beauty Berries and Crepe Myrtle seeds, we are low on natural food.

So why is the Rose Garden not dead? some ask.

  1. The garden has been mulched with cyprus, leaves, and cardboard for years. Organic matter stores moisture.
  2. A lively soil population is involved in a constant exchange of water and minerals as generations grow and die. Tiny critters are storage units for plant nutrition and hydration.
  3. Fungus is the main route for exchanging carbon from the plants to give plants nutrition and water.
  4. Deep roots take water much lower for storage.
  5. I save rainwater and put it on needy plants.
  6. I use the sprinklers to supplement.
All I need to do is follow what God established in the Six-Day Creation. Every creature and plant has a purpose. If I let them do their work, my work is largely done. I do not need to till the soil. I can provide soil improvements by keeping the dead leaves and borrowing my neighbor's. Insect pests are thwarted by beneficial insects

  • feeding their young with the bad bugs, 
  • by spiders, and 
  • by companion planting.


The worst part of August, now departing, is the heat that shortens the bloom life of the roses. They open and wilt fast. However, autumn rains may leverage their maturity and extra care. 

Each rose will get its collar of cardboard (egg crate egg holders, cardboard boxes) and fresh mulch, either cyprus, peat humus, or both. This eliminates weed competition and allows the few strands vying for sunlight to get snipped.

Contrite and humble, I will consider what I did wrong in 2020 and improve the results, though I only do .0000001% of the work.

The weather will be cooler, making pruning and harvesting the flowers a lot more fun.

 Red Knock Out Rose on a Lincoln Town Car hood


Lo! - Boomage

The moment I posted this on Facebook - BOOM! I looked outside and saw heavy rain in the darkness, lit by our big backyard light (LED, seldom on). I stepped into the rain to kick more cans into the waterfall from the roof!